Here's a repost of the information about Orcas Island's own Shakespeare Festival from the Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce. There will be a special appearance by Shakespeare himself, along with jugglers, dancers and performers of all ages, at the New Leaf Cafe on Saturday, May 22 at 1:15. Come by for a late breakfast and enjoy the show!
You are invited to come enjoy our Shakespeare Festival on Orcas Island, featuring costumed performers, an Eastsound Parade, street theater, and a performance of ‘Julius Caesar’ by The Seattle Shakespeare Company. Clear your schedule for March 21, 22 and 23, 2013.
The Stage on the Green, located in the heart of the island, will be home to numerous festival activities all day Saturday, March 23, including stage performances and music of the period. That evening, a performance of Julius Caesar will be presented at the island’s version of “The Globe” – the 200-seat Orcas Center, the community’s performing arts facility.
If you have any questions, please email or call (360-376-2273) the Chamber of Commerce
Festival Event Schedule
Thursday, March 21
- Dinner at Sazio di Notte with the Seattle Shakespeare Company. Chef Bill Patterson has created a meal fit for The Bard himself! See the Menu. 6 pm – 9:30 pm. $125 per person (wine included). Reservations made at Sazio (360-376-6394), The Office Cupboard (360-376-2378), or at the Chamber of Commerce (360-376-2273).
Friday, March 22
- ‘Combat’ acting class for students. 10 am at Orcas Center. Seattle Shakespeare Company provides instruction to local high school students on ‘combat’ techniques for the stage.
- ‘Julius Caesar’ performance for local students. 1 pm at Orcas Center. Seattle Shakespeare Company in performance.
- ‘Combat’ acting class for adults. 4 pm at Outlook Inn’s Victorian Room. A chance to learn how to theatrically take and give a hit! Seattle Shakespeare Company. Cost: $30. Class size: 30. Reservations made through the Chamber of Commerce (376-2273).
Saturday, March 23:
All-day Shakespeare Festival on Orcas Island, featuring street performances, a parade, farmers market & much more!
- 11 am: Parade through Eastsound (North Beach Road – Rose Street – Prune Alley – A Street) ending on the Village Green). Orcas Island’s William Shakespeare will be feted as he arrives
- Vendors on Village Green (11 am – 4 pm)
- ‘Julius Caesar’ performance at Orcas Center
- 7 pm: Wine reception at Orcas Center for ticket holders
- 8 pm: Performance by Seattle Shakespeare Company
‘Julius Caesar’ Performance at Orcas Center
Tickets for the March 23 performance of ‘Julius Caesar’ are on sale now, and are available through the Orcas Center Box Office (360-376-2281) or its website. Tickets are also available at the Brown Paper Tickets website.
Shakespeare’s great political thriller portrays the life-and-death struggle for power in Rome. Envious of the charismatic Caesar and his ambitions, a faction of politicians plot his assassination. After Caesar is killed, chaos consumes Rome. Julius Caesar investigates the turbulent nature of power and the ethics of those who wield it.
Orcas Island, one of the San Juan Islands, is famous for its natural beauty, and is often referred to as the “Gem of the San Juans.”
“The Chamber of Commerce is working with our business community to take part in the fun,” said Orcas Island Chamber Board President Michell Marshall. “Restaurants and shops will feature ‘Shakespearean Specials’ that weekend, transforming the island into a Salish Sea version of Stratford-upon-Avon. With an amazing variety of talented local artists, Orcas has earned the reputation as an ‘Island for the Arts,’ and this year’s Shakespeare Festival will only add to that reputation. And it doesn’t hurt we have our own William Shakespeare for the event,” Marshall said.