- As soon as you make your reservation for the Inn, go onto the Washington State Ferries Website or call them at1-888-808-7977 from 5:00 a.m. to 8:15 p.m., seven days a week and make a reservation.
- If you can't make a reservation for your preferred sailing time - DON"T PANIC - there is often stand-by space available, space opens up according to tiers (see below), and no one has ever been left behind, we promise.
- If you can make your reservation to the island but not to leave the island, this isn't cause for concern either. 10% of each sailing is held for drive-up traffic and more stand-by space is often available due to the high number of cancellations and no-shows for reservations.
Reservations are released in thirds.
• Two months before the start of the season, one-third of reservations for all sailings for the entire season are released.
• Two weeks before the sailing date another one-third is released.
• Two days before the sailing date the final one-third is released.
Space is always released at 7:00 a.m. Read our Tiered Release of Space handout (PDF 456 kB) for more information.
If you don't feel like waking up at 7:00 a.m. for one of these release dates, check out FlexFerry - a website that does the "checking back" for you.
Your can make reservations from Anacortes (westbound) to the following islands:
• Lopez Island
• Shaw Island
• Orcas Island
• San Juan Island (Friday Harbor)
- You can make reservations leaving from the following islands to Anacortes (eastbound*):
• Friday Harbor
• Orcas Island
You are unable to take reservations for inter-island travel, or travel from Lopez or Shaw islands to Anacortes.
Standby space is often available. If you need to travel at the last minute, or can't make a reservation for the day you'd like to travel, try traveling standby. While you may not always get on the sailing of your choice, there is often space available when people don't show up for their reservations or when reservation holders end up traveling at a different time. Just remember that priority for standby space on every sailing goes to emergency vehicles and customers with medical priority loading status.
Be patient. Go slow. I know it's hard with all the stuff that we're juggling, but some of the best moments can be born from an unexpected break in the pace. There are wonderful beaches to explore at the Anacortes Ferry Landing and beautiful winding country roads past the Orcas Ferry Terminal for a slow meander if you have to wait. If something goes wrong with your ferry timing, turn it into something special.
We are here to help! If you have any questions give us a call or for Ferry specific questions, call 1-888-808-7977 from 5:00 a.m. to 8:15 p.m., seven days a week.